Over the door:
Over the of the “Love and Forgiveness Room” was the verse:
“Therefore, behold, I will allure her, Bring her into the wilderness and speak kindly to her. Then I will give her her vineyards from there, And the valley of Achor as a door of hope. And she will sing there as in the days of her youth, As in the day when she came up from the land of Egypt.” – Hosea 2:14-15
As I walked into the Love and Forgiveness Room, I felt a power of love that I had never experienced before. It was a love that had the power to free someone from hatred, which is really apathy.
“This is the appreciation room where pain, trauma, anger and bitterness are overcome by love. I know how hard it can be to forgive, but maybe it would help for you if you understood that kindness and appreciation to your enemies is like heaping hot coals on their head. Anger and pain are powerful emotions, and often times it feels like if we turn our cheek to forgive, we are just going to get slapped on our other cheek like a weak, defenseless person. The truth of the matter is that the strongest person is the one who responds in love and doesn't allow themselves to be moved by what other people do to them. You can do this. My love will always be bigger and greater than anything else. I want to take you from the Romans 7 man who is wrestling against rights and wrongs and judgements against yourself and others to the Romans 8 man where neither heights nor depth nor principalities or powers can separate you from the love of God and others. We are done with the do's and don'ts and the rights and wrongs, you are perfect in my sight. It's time to take the log out of your eye towards yourself and others and put your love and joy on instead.”
- Colossians 3:13 – Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you
- Matthew 6:14-15 – For if you forgive others for their transgressions, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive others, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions.
- 1 John 1:9 – If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
- Isaiah 1:18 – Come now, and let us reason together, says the Lord, Though your sins are as scarlet, They will be as white as snow; Though they are red like crimson, They will be like wool.
- 1 Samuel 30:6 – Moreover David was greatly distressed because the people spoke of stoning him, for all the people were embittered, each one because of his sons and his daughters. But David strengthened himself in the Lord his God.
- Daniel 9:9 – To the Lord our God belong compassion and forgiveness for we have rebelled against Him.
- Ephesians 4:31-32 -Get rid of all bitterness, rage, and anger, brawling and slander, along with every other form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.
- Micah 7:18-19 – Who is a God like You, who forgives wickedness And passes over the rebellious acts of the remnant of His possession? He does not retain His anger forever, Because He [constantly] delights in mercy and lovingkindness. He shall again have compassion on us; He will subdue and tread underfoot our wickedness [destroying sin's power]. Yes, You will cast all our sins Into the depths of the sea.
- Mark 11:25 – Whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him [drop the issue, let it go], so that your Father who is in heaven will also forgive you your transgressions and wrongdoings [against Him and others
Fruit from The Room:
- Learning to not only forgive, but appreciate the people and experiences that have hurt us the most in our lives.
- The Blessing and inheritance we receive when we become free from the trauma of pain when we forgive and appreciate.
- Room of mercy, grace, and freedom – Jesus makes forgiveness fun / joyful.
- Mercy triumphs over judgment (James 2:12-13). This is not a room of shame or condemnation, it is room of mercy, grace, and freedom. Jesus makes forgiveness so much fun in this room and He always maintains a sense of humor and joy.
- God says to us, “I can handle all your emotions; it's ok to let it all out and be real with me. You are perfect just the way you are and if you are ok with me, then you are ok.”
- In this room, God tells you that you are perfect just the way you are and all throughout the different corners He reminds us that if we are ok with Him then we are ok. We are secured and safe in this room and do not need to be on our best behavior.
- He can handle all of our emotions, even the most intense and angry ones. In this room we need to know that it is ok to let it all out and get mad, throw a fit, and He is still going to be the smiling, happy God who encourages you to move on and have joy.
- Forgiveness grounded in true love is not weak, naïve, or codependent.
- More powerful to forgive, appreciate, and let go – doesn't mean we are weak if we choose to forgive.